It’s such an upsetting day.
I wanted to bake some chocolate eclairs, everything went well right till the baking process, the pastry came out a little brown but again the inside is not completely cook, probably 10% more. If I continue to bake it, the crust would probably be too hard. Went to buy an oven thermometer and this is wat happen :
– When I set the oven to 200 degrees, the thermometer showed 160 degrees.
– When I set the oven to 180 degrees, the thermometer showed also 160 degress but could see some smoke (like overheat) when I open the oven door.
– I did a baking trial of muffins, set the oven too 200 degrees; thermometer showed 160 degrees and took 30 mins to bake. Finally the crust looks golden brown but it’s hard on the outside and when tear open, the inside color looks uncooked, a little moist.
– I also tried the pre-heating method, the temperature din climb up to 180 degrees too.
– I set the oven for baking, set at 180 degrees, thermometer showed 170 degrees initally, half way thru the thermometer showed 180 degree, is this normal?
I start to wonder if I know how to bake! and I’m totally helpless and clueless how I shld manage the oven now. Is there something wrong with the recipe? I tried from muffins, choux pastry to butter cake and is having the same problem. Is there something wrong with my preparation method? I have also tried several methods – creaming to just normal muffin mixing. Have tried baking in loaf tin, round tin and now muffins cups, I din have any luck either. It’s so discouraging to see the failed bakes and throwing them away. I’ve not fail in baking when following a recipe (unless I tweak the recipe so much that it doesn’t work) and now it’s one after another! All I just want to do is just some proper baking!
In any case, I’m not going to waste any more precious ingredients or time trying again. I’m just going to get a new oven! I checked out the 2 ovens that I mention earlier, both are almost 1K, saw a display set of LG Solardom going at S$200 lesser which is a steal since the store probably won’t turn on the oven. Otherwise I saw another Sharp Model going for S$399 which is really affordable. So now which is which?
On another note, I bought an additional printer today – one that can scan / print / copy which is prefectly helpful when I want to note down recipes from books I borrow from the library!