I tend to overstock my pantry at times as I dun hv any supermarket near me so stuff like sour cream, whipping cream, heavy cream, strawberries, cream cheese is not easily available. I remember I had to throw away 2 tubs of sour cream cos I din use them and thereafter I make sure I really need to use them before I buy cos they hv a shorter expiry date. And now I have 500g of cream cheese expiring this month end and another 1kg next month! I could do a cheesecake but either I’m lazy or I wasn’t in the mood to do so. I’m not sure about you but I’ve ask a few bakers, the bakes dun turn out good (even thou you hv make them umpteen times) when you din do it with heart . I’ve some Oreo Cookies (hm … also expiring next month) and I also wanted to try out the “500 cupcakes/muffins” book I newly bought so here I have – Cookies n Cream Cupcake.
It’s a relatively easy recipe but instead of buttercream, I use cream cheese frosting cos I feel it will balance off the sweetness of the cupcake.
What you need :
225g unsalted butter, soften
225g caster sugar
225g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla essence
10 crushed Oreo Cookies
What to do :
1. Preheat the oven to 170 degrees.
2. Combine all ingredients (except the Oreo Cookies) in a large bowl and beat with an electric whisk until smooth and pale, about 2-3 mins.
3. Stir in the cookies.
4. Fill the cases 2/3 full and bake for 20 mins.
5. Cool on rack when it’s ready.
Store without icing in airtight container for 3 days or freeze up to 3 months.
Beat 200g cream cheese with 170g icing sugar till smooth and spread on top of cooled cupcakes.
18 regular size cupcakes.
– I reduce the sugar to 200g.
– I din follow their preparation method but the creaming of butter/sugar, add egg then fold in flour.