The sun finally show his smiling face after so many rainy days. As much as I prefer this temperature but it’s just too gloomy. You just feel depress and not wanting to do anything except laze in bed which I do not have the luxury and had to go back to work. But the sun came out too strong and fierce today! I was literally melting when I went out and couldn’t wait to go home immediately to have something refreshing and cooling so this is what I have prepare – Osmanthus Agar Agar.
I was first introduce to Osmanthus (桂花) when my Taiwan fren gave me a bottle of Osmanthus Honey, I prefer this light scent rather than Rose or Lavender which I feel it’s a little overwhelming at times. I tried Osmanthus Jelly before which is using Water Chestnut flour as the jelly agent but I find it a little “heavy” when bite into.
After some thoughts, I decide to try combining Osmanthus and Agar Agar together and I’m happy to report that the little Osmanthus flower has given the Agar Agar a pretty different flavour. I also like how the little flower stays at the bottom of the agar agar so when you invert it, it’s on top.
What you need :
13g agar agar powder
2 tbsp Osmanthus Sugar
1 tbsp dried Osmanthus (could add more if desired)
To do :
1. Bring sugar, agar agar agar powder and water to boil on medium heat.
2. Stir mixture frequently to avoid thickening.
3. When it’s about to boil, add in Osmanthus Sugar and dried Osmanthus.
4. Leave mixture to boil and pour into moulds.
5. Allow mixture to cool slightly before placing in the fridge to set.
– The Osmanthus Sugar 桂花糖 could be purchase from Yu Hua 裕華百貨 at Chinatown, Singapore at S$3 per bottle.
– The dried Osmanthus can be purchase from chinese medicine hall.