This is a must buy for me when I visit the bakery but not many sell them nowadays and they are only usually found in those neighbourhood stores. I never know that they are actually left over cake and it’s not a popular item but nevertheless I love them as they are! So when I had leftover chocolate cake from last week cupcakes, I carefully store them in air-tight container in the fridge, waiting for the opportunity to turn them into rum balls!
I did a search online and caught Aunty Yochana’s recipe which is the simplest. Others have condensed milk inside which I thought that will be really sweet. I halved the recipe, adjusted the proportion and din use melted chocolate to coat as I thot the overall will be too chocolately then. Since I just need to coat the chocolate rice, I thought I shld just brush the rum balls with milk and it works!
100gm chocolate cake
20g toasted chopped walnut (do chopped finely or they will be too chunky for the rum balls especially if you make them small)
25g glaced cherries
1 tbsp melted butter
1 tbsp rum (I use rum essence instead)
Chocolate rice for decoration
1. Mix all the above together and roll them into round shape. I use a tbsp as a gauge so each of them is about 18g)
2. Press them tight and roll them round.
3. I brush the rum balls with milk and coat them in chocolate rice.
– Makes 12 rum balls of 18g each
– I put chocolate rice into a plastic bag and put the rum ball inside to coat, at the same time also press the chocolate rice onto the rum balls. Felt this way is easier than rolling them into a bowl of chocolate rice.