The last scones recipe I tried requires a lot of ingredients, especially the one cup of heavy cream and have many more steps during preparation. I didn’t really like the heavy texture and thought I will put off baking scones till I saw this one from a Hong Kong website. I finally have the chance to prepare it for breakfast today. All I need is 20 mins of preparation and 15 mins of baking, it’s so hassle-free that you won’t mind preparing early in the morning. The dough isn’t sticky and it’s so easy to cut them into round shapes, I did heart shape in this case 🙂 Added some sugar cos I realise the original recipe has none which mean it will be tasteless, also added vanilla essence for the fragrance. And yes, this is what I’ve been looking for, the light butter fragrant, the little moist texture and with a slab of strawberry jam = just nice to start a weekend!
50g unsalted butter (I use Lurpak in this case as this will be the main ingredient to bring out the flavour)
150g self-raising flour
20g caster sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla essence
Milk to brush
1. Sift self-raising flour and mix with caster sugar.
2. Rub butter into flour/sugar till fine crumbs.
3. Make a well in the center and add in the milk/vanilla (Stir vanilla into milk before pouring).
4. Lightly form a dough.
5. Roll out on a lightly dusted surface and cut into desired shape.
6. Brush the surface with milk and bake at 200 degrees for 15 mins.
1. Make 12 small scones.
2. I added 10g flour as I feel it’s a little wet.
3. I added sugar and vanilla essence.
4. Recipe adapted from here http://www.rthk.org.hk/elearning/dessert/cake_scones.htm