I would not have thought of making our own char siew, it sounds like it will take a lot of time and effort until I receive a cookbook dedicated to my oven. The picture look really good that we bought the pork, prepare all the seasoning and using the combi function (Bake at 250 degrees + Microwave at 180 degrees), it took us 30 mins to get it done. I grill each side for another 5 mins to dry up the outer layer.
The meat is tender and not as dry as what you get from outside, it’s juicy and the skin is really tasty. The only regret is we should have do 1kg at a go than just 500gm!
Honey Glazed Pork
1/4 tsp salt
100g castor sugar
1 tbsp light soya sauce
1 to 1/2 tsp oyster sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp rice or rose wine
1 to 1/2 tsp grated ginger
2 grated garlic
2 grated shallots
1 tbsp hoisin sauce
50g red fermented bean curd (well mashed)
1 tsp 5 spice powder
1 kg pork tenderloin
2 tbsp honey (to be mixed with 2 drops of red coloring)
1. Mix salt, sugar, soya, oyster and hoisin, sauces with sesame oil, wine, garlic, shallots, mashed bean curd and 5-spice powder in a large bowl.
2. Add pork, baste thoroughly and marinate in refrigerator for 4 hrs or overnight.
3. Preheat oven to convention 180 degrees
4. Place pork fat-side up on the lower rack in a roasting pan.
5. Roast the pork on Speed Combi, 250 degrees + Microwave 180W for 13 mins.
6. Turn meat and bake for 7 more minutes.
7. Remove pork and brush with honey mixed with food coloring.
8. Return to oven for another 10 mins, or until done.
9. Cut meat crosswise into thin slices and serve.
1. I left out hoisin sauce.
2. I am not sure if it’s the right way but after the marination I drained away the sauce before baking.
3. After the first 13 mins and turning the meat, I brush it will the sauce.
4. Before brushing the pork with honey, I lightly brush the meat with sauce again.
5. I cut down the last baking to 8 mins and added 3 mins of grilling on high on each side to crisp the meat.