I have 2 books on chiffon cake but at times I find their variation kinda strange like Filament Stick (which is the white fish crabstick), Popcorn Chiffon, XO Sauce Chiffon?! I was running out of ideas on the chiffon variation and remember I had a pack of Mocca Instant Coffee around and went ahead to prepare all the ingredients to realise it has expired! I substituted instant coffee powder as what the recipe ask for. And I broke 2 eggs in the midst of it … maybe not a day to bake? With half of the ingredients weigh and prepare, I went ahead.
The original recipe call for 2 eggs but I added another 1 more egg white for the volume. The texture is really soft, fluffy and cottony. A pity that the coffee scent is not strong, I will try to get some good coffee and try again.
Coffee Chiffon Cake
Fit 7″ mould
Adapted from Kevin Chai – Chiffon Cake is done
Egg Yolk Batter
1 tbsp instant coffee powder
30ml milk (original recipe call for 20ml milk)
2 egg yolks
20g caster sugar
20ml cooking oil
40g cake flour (original recipe call for self-raising flour)
1/4 tsp baking powder
Egg White Foam
3 egg whites (original recipe call for 2 egg whites)
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
40g caster sugar (original recipe call for 50g, I find his recipe a little too sweet)
1. Stir instant coffee powder with milk until melted. Combine with egg yolks, sugar and oil together.
2. Fold in flour and set aside.
3. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until mixture is foamy. Add in sugar gradually and beat until stiff peak.
4. Gently fold beaten egg white into egg yolk batter until blended.
5. Pour into ungreased 7″ mould and bake in a pre-heated oven for 30 mins or until cooked.
6. Invert cake to cool before removing.