I was flipping through the mooncake recipe book and saw this, pretty captivating with 4 different colors here – pink, green, yellow and white. The interesting part about this recipe is using ice-cream soda as the liquid ingredient. I was expecting a fuzzy taste but it didn’t taste any different from the normal ones thou the skin is extremely soft due to the high proportion of liquid ingredient as compare to the flour proportion. The skin is almost like melt-in-the mouth type but I would very much prefer a slightly chewier skin.
Rainbow Soda Durian Snowskin with Durian Lotus Paste
Makes 12 x 50g snowskin mooncake
15g icing sugar
1/8 tsp Durian essence
24ml Ice-cream Soda Water
1. Sift flour and icing sugar
2. Mix in shortening.
3. Add essence and coloring into ice cream soda water.
4. Add liquid mixture into flour/icing sugar/shortening and form a soft dough, leave aside.
5. Repeat preparation of this proportion of ingredients in 4 parts and add a few drops of yellow, green and pink coloring to each, leaving the last part white.
6. Roll out each color dough into a rectangular shape and lay them on top of one another.
7. Roll the dough up like a swiss roll into a log.
8. Slice the log up and flatten up to use as the snowskin.
9. Wrap lotus paste and put in mooncake mould to mould.
10. Chill for one hour before consumption.
Recipe adapted from Y3K Love.Mooncake Book