I’ve read very good review of Aunty Lucy’s Banana cake but my family including myself is not a fan of Banana cake, we will not buy this cake from outside bakery shop as the banana essence is so strong that it smell like banana perfume (if there is one)!
My mum was skeptical when I said I want to bake a banana cake but the bunch of bananas is going into the bin! I promise I will not add banana essence which I shld have added 1/4 tsp instead of the 1/2 tsp. I thought a little pinch of cinnamon will be good too, then I will have Banana Walnut Cinnamon Cake! While we try to bake with natural flavours, I think a little is still good to enhance the original flavour. I could not get large eggs also so I reduce the recipe slightly to fit the 2 medium sized eggs I have. I didn’t have whipping cream so I replace with low fat milk. I also added a handful of toasted walnuts for the crunch!
The recipe is so good!! The cake is so fluffy and soft! I didn’t tent the cake as I wanted a crisp texture on the outer layer.
160 gm Butter
140 gm Fine sugar
2 Eggs – beaten lightly
225 gm. Cake flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. Bicarbonate of Soda
220 gm. Bananas – mashed
50 gm milk
1/4 tsp. Banana essence
1. Cream butter and sugar till light and creamy.
2. Pour in eggs gradually and beat till creamy.
3. Add in whip cream, mashed bananas and banana essence and mix well.
4. Add in cake flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda and beat for a while only.
5. Pour into an 8″ round tray, and arrange sliced bananas on top.
6. Bake at 175C for about 50 to 60 mins. or until cooked.