I was very impressed with smallsmallbaker’s cashew nut cookies last year, it bring back good old memories that the family prepare CNY cookies together till the wee hours. Grandma will be doing the deep frying part of the Kok Chai, while dad will roll the dough and mum will fill the fillings while we little kids then will be responsible for “transporting” the kok chai to grandma. Nowadays I often work alone, probably becos my parents know that I prefer to work alone in the kitchen and did I mention that I enjoy event he washing up part? But I do have a little helper this year – my nephew! He is responsible for helping me to press the cashew nut this time. He is certainly a very systematic and productive little worker!
I did not brush the top with egg white before sticking the cashew nut and neither did I glazed the cookie cos I accidentally threw away the other egg yolk!
Cashew Nuts Cookies
(Recipe modified from Easy Cookies)
Ingredients (I make 130-136 pieces)
70g castor sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 egg (about 25g)
40g grounded cashew nuts
180g plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 egg, separated
136 halved cashew nuts
1. Cream butter and sugar till pale and creamy.
2. Add in pure vanilla extract. Add in egg slowly, Beat until well-mixed.
3. Fold in grounded cashew nuts. Fold in sifted flours and baking powder gradually. Knead to form dough.
4. Roll the dough into 3/4 cm thickness. Cut the dough into crescent shapes (or any shape you like) and place them on the baking tray. Brush a layer of egg white on the cookies and top each cookie with one halved cashew nut. (Brushing egg white helps the cashew nut to stick to the cookie well.) Brush a layer of egg yolk on top of the cashew nuts for a nice golden brown colour.
5. Bake at 180C for about 15 minutes till light golden brown.