Bought this book in last May this is the 2nd recipe I’ve tried.
I use a silicone loaf tin hence you don’t see the straight sides and I didn’t have to do a cut in the middle before sending into the oven, I just push the batter to the side. I reduce the sugar slightly and use muscovado sugar instead of the normal brown sugar, just happen to have them in the pantry and it’s suppose to have a stronger molasses flavour. I wanted finner crumbs so I replace it with cake flour, the original recipe ask for plain flour so either one will do.
The cake is good 🙂 that little nephew who will only take a 2nd look if it’s anything chocolate had 2 slices for his tea!
150g unsalted butter
110g light brown sugar
20g caster sugar
100g beaten eggs (approximately 2)
180g cake or plain flour
1/2 tsp double acting baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Using an 8″ tube pan and preheat oven to 160 degrees.
2. Cream butter till fluffy and add in both brown and caster sugar cream till light and fluffy.
3. Add in eggs bit by bit, make sure it’s well beaten after each addition.
4. Fold in flour, baking powder and salt.
5. Fold in milk and vanilla extract.
6. Bake for 70 mins till skewer comes out clean.
7. Cool in tin for 30 mins before removing.