It’s been a while ~ again. I have been down for a week and a half from suspected dengue. It hit me real hard this time and at the point of time when there are so many things that I want to do. I am also into my last leg of my PME classes so I shall have more time to bake and time to start on mooncakes too! I have already eye on some new recipes that I would love to try and and share.
I’ve gotten this book when I last went to Malacca and despite the many “delicious” fresh cream cake recipe that’s inside, I start with the basic one cos I’ve heard from K how good this Zebra Lines Cakes is. While the core component is egg whites but there is an added emulsifier inside which probably hold many pple back. Well, I think the occasional usage is still acceptable in my range. And for the cake texture, it’s very fine and moist
Ingredients A :
250g cold egg whites
50ml cold water
170g caster sugar
1 1/2 tsp ovalette
2 egg yolks
200g superfine flour (I use HK flour)
3/4 tsp double action baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
Ingredients B :
170g butter (melted)
2 tbsp condensed milk (I used 4 tbsp milk)
Ingredients C :
1 1/2 tbsp chocolate emulco
2 tbsp cocoa powder
Ingredients D :
Some nibbed almonds
Pan Size : 9″ Round Tin
1. Preheat oven to 170 degrees
2. Line and grease 9″ Round Tin
3. Whisk Ingredients A at high speed until thick and fluffy.
4. Fold in Ingredients B and mix well.
5. Take out 1/3 of the batter and fold in Ingredients C.
6. Scoop 2 tbsp of plain batter into the centre of the tin. Top with 1 tbsp of chocolate batter. Do not level the batter and repeat until batter is finished.
7. Sprinkle some nibbed almonds on the top.
8. Bake for 40-45 mins.
a. The batter rises pretty fair so fill the tin to slightly above the half mark.
b. Do try to include the nibbed almonds as it give an extra crunch to the cake.
Recipe from Y3K Delicious Cakes